Thursday Thirteen #18
13 things about Dane Bramage
The 13 Fun Facts About New Orleans Edition
Well I am in New Orleans on business. I thought I would do some in depth research into the culture and background of this great historical city. Then the Democrats won big Tuesday and sapped the soul right out of me. So I thought I would just make some crap up.
- New Orleans was founded in 1718 on the site of Old Orleans after hurricane Henrietta washed the old town out to sea.
- Did you know that New Orleans is the only American city that was built below sea level? Consequently they do not bury their dead below ground. They store them near polling areas and trot them out every election day to vote. (I AM NOT BITTER!)
- New Orleans is the only American City where the main language was French for more than a century. Now building the town below sea level is starting to make sense.
- Ray Nagin, inexplicably still mayor of New Orleans, wants the rebuilt city to be a "chocolate city". After catching a lot of criticism, he said he would settle for a "fluffy nougat center city".
- The city once boasted a robust mining economy and exporting oil, computers, and electronics. Today New Orleans produces porn and drunks and the primary export is poor minorities.
- In 1803 Thomas Jefferson doubled the size of the U.S. with the Louisiana Purchase. It was later discovered that Napoleon only sold the land to get rid of New Orleans. He was allergic to crawdads and alligator sausage.
- New Orleans is known as the Crescent City even though it's layout more closely resembles a toenail. The Big Easy refers to how readily servicemen can score on a weekend.
- At one time New Orleans had an extensive canal system, larger even than Venice. The Venetians succeeded though when they figured out that they shouldn't build their homes IN the canals.
- The New Orleans tradition of Mardi Gras started in 1740 and was originally know as "The Running of the Hookers"
- New Orleans boasts many unique music forms. However, Zydeco was almost destroyed by feminists who felt the frottoir was a sexist and demeaning instrument.
- The cuisine of New Orleans is world renown. No where else is there so many ways to prepare spicy, savory, bottom feeders.
- Whether you pronounce it "New Or-lins", "New Or-leenz", "New Or-le-ans", or even "Nawlins", SOMEONE in Louisiana will correct your pronunciation. I stole that one entirely from Harvey at Bad Example
- New Orleans has more UFO sightings than any city it's size in the world. The number of sightings doubled after Katrina when it is believed that aliens mistook it for the lost city of Atlantis.
UPDATE: The rest of the list is below the fold. Go to the end of the post and click "We want to read more!"
Well I hope you've learned something. Geez making things up is harder than actually researching stuff. And if you live here and were offended, I hope to be long gone before you make it down to the scenic Royal Sonesta Hotel and pound me into paste.
|13. The Shrone|
20. Random Yak
21. my 2
22. Michelle in Mx
Twenty Cents Keeps Moving
Twenty Cents Keeps Moving
32. Diaper Bag Diva
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants