Thursday Thirteen #61
13 Things About Dane Bramage
13 Christmas Songs I Love/Hate
I did a "13 Favorite Christmas Songs" list last year. So rather than repost it in it's entirety, I decided to combine it with another list. I got the idea from David Drake who listed 10 Christmas songs he hated and 10 songs he loved. So here is my Love/Hate list. Songs I HATE are in RED
Songs I LOVE are in GOLD
- Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer Too Bad Elmo and Patsy didn't get run over.
O Holy Night Any version. Patti LaBelle's is pretty cool.
- Frosty The Snowman You know if they didn't say he'd be back on Christmas day I wonder if they would even consider it a Christmas song.
Carol of the Bells Done with voices or bells it is awesome. AND it lends itself to electronic versions like Manheim Steamroller, very well.
- Santa Clause is Coming to Town - The Jackson Five version Springsteen's version is a close second. Too much airplay.
I Wonder As I Wander Truly a lovely song. Not enough airplay.
- Little Saint Nick - Beach Boys Excuse me while I hurl. This is a shining example of people just playing a song because it is Christmasesque. I know I just made up a word but it fits.
Beautiful Star of Bethleham I sang this last week with the Mens Trio in my church
- Feliz Navidad Annoying in TWO languages.
Il Est Ne Le Divin Enfant Since we are liking the French again why not mention this beautiful Christmas tune.
- Come Home for Christmas - The Eagles Very depressing for a Christmas song. And not the good bluesy depressing (that they were shooting for) either.
Hark the Herald Angels Sing It just isn't Christmas without this song. I love belting this one out!
- Happy Xmas (War is Over) Despising John Lennon's version would be enough for most people. Not the Bramagemeister. Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan and Charlotte Church have
conspiredcollaborated on a new version. Yuck. The video reeks. It looks like everybody recorded it on different days and spliced it together. And I automatically hate all songs that spell Christmas with an "X".
Sleigh Ride I have the most different versions of this song. I love them all.
- Jingle Bell Rock It is just overplayed.
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen The Ladies Trio of my church sang this Sunday. Any version is great!
- Jingle Bells - The Singing Dogs This song made to the top of many "Worst of" lists.
Silver Bells The Supremes and Robert Goulet are just a couple to sing this classic.
- The Chanukah Song - Adam Sandler "So drink your gin and tonicah, And smoke your marijuanikah"??? Okay NOT a Christmas song but I hate it for all the same reasons.
This Christmas - Any version especially the original by Donny Hathaway They've made a movie with the same title. A great Christmas classic.
- Any Christmas Song by Barbara Streisand Babs has a set of pipes and no one can deny that. BUT singing Christmas songs, and cutting a Christmas album is all about the money for her. I can't get past that hypocritical taint. Let's face it. Christmas songs about Christ are religious songs. Why would you sing a religious song from another religion?
Christmas Time is Here Anyone who watches "A Charlie Brown Christmas" knows what I am talking about. Great jazz. Period!
- Merry Christmas From the Family - The Dixie Chicks with Rosie O'Donnell version Bah Humbug.
Merry Christmas From the Family - Robert Earl Keen version A great song about family at Christmas. Well, some families.
- All I Want For Christmas is You - Mariah Carey This ubiquitous ditty grates on my nerves more than any song of the season. I am constantly battered with it everywhere I go!
Christmas Wrappings A guilty pleasure but with a happy Christmas ending!
Apparently I am not alone in my loathing of some songs. Two different media companies put the barking "Jingle Bells" at the top of their lists. Love them? Hate them? Agree or disagree, leave your thoughts in the comments!
I would like to thank the T13 graphic contributors for the holiday logos. They are lovely. OH! I got a little item off of last weeks Christmas list! Check out my laser eyes! Merry Christmas!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants