Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Multitasking: Memes, Mini-rants, Musical Quizzes, and Marauding Marsupialism

Lyn has tagged me with the My iPod Playlist - 7 Song Meme. I seem to recall being tagged with something similar last year. But so as not to completely blow him off I have decided to modify it somewhat and allow you, my faithful reader, to participate. To begin with, I don’t own an iPod but I do have 2 laptops with CD/DVD players in them which happen to have musical CDs in them right now. I will list 7 of the tracks from each and you guess who the artist is.  

First is a Grammy award winner. The CD is a “Greatest Hits” collection. The tracks:
  • Trickle Trickle

  • Gloria

  • Tuxedo Junction

  • Four Brothers

  • Spice of Life

  • Candy

  • Java Jive

Who is the artist(s)?  The second CD you have to give me the name of the group, the name of the CD and year it was published.  As a hint I will tell you that this CD has a track that has the same title as a track from the first CD, but I didn’t put it on either list.  The tracks:
  • A Remark You Made

  • Palladium

  • Juggler

  • Teen Town

  • Harlequin

  • Rumba Mama

  • Havona

As for 7 other people I want to tag, nah I’ll pass.  Memes can be fun but I really don’t like the implication that I “must” pass it on like some kind of chain letter. This by the way, is a segue into my mini-rant.  I like to think of myself as spiritual but one of my pet peeves is receiving an email with an uplifting and inspirational story or poem.  These missives are not offensive in themselves but they usually conclude with something moronic like “IF YOU LOVE JESUS, Pass this on to 10 (or 20, or 50 etc...) of your closest friends and the Lord WILL BLESS YOU.”  That gets my dander up. This idiot (and it usually isn’t the person who like a mindless automaton, forwarded the email to me) has taken it upon himself/herself to speak for God. They have reduced the Almighty of some sort of blessing vending machine where you insert some email addresses in the slot and out pops a blessing. Add to that the cheap shot attempt at a guilt trip by insisting that you don’t love Jesus if you don’t pass it on.  If the authors were truly spiritual they would realize that if anyone does what they asked and doesn’t receive a blessing, they just made God out to be a liar.  

I NEVER forward these types of emails just on that principle alone. If I come across something inspirational and uplifting that I think someone or someones would like or benefit from, I send it to them. BUT I never insist that they have to pass it on and I certainly never promise them something from God if they do.

Lastly I have devolved. I am no longer a Large Mammal, I am a Marauding Marsupial. I doubt that I will ever return to insignificant Microbe status but here’s hoping that I have backslidden as far as I’m going to.  Hey do you think the term backsliding will catch on in the ecosystem? It’s such a spiritual term to apply to an evolutionary process.

No comments: