Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Bah Humbug

Well not like Ebenezer Scrooge but I have found that 12 days into December I have developed some holiday pet peeves.

  1. All Christmas Music All The Time-   We have a local radio station that started playing Christmas music 24 hours a day on December 1st.  You may find that a wonderful thing but I might enjoy it more if they played different songs every now and again. 24 hours of the same songs really grates on my last nerve. This leads into my second peeve.
  2. Somebody shoot Mariah Carey. If I scan the radio dial at any given hour, somebody is playing “All I Want for Christmas Is You” and if it is a peak hour, then at least two stations have it going at one time. (You have to understand that I live in N. E. Ohio and I get radio stations from Akron, Cleveland, Canton, and Youngstown. That’s a lot of stations and unfortunately many of them like Mariah’s song.)  Then they play it again in the following hour! Mariah’s little ditty is a good example of my next peeve.
  3. Secular Christmas Songs. Our little 24 hour Christmas music station can go for long periods of times playing music that never once mentions Jesus. Oh they’ll rock around a Christmas tree, or Jingle Bell Rock or run over Grandma with Reindeer but they are very reluctant to mention Jesus. Yeah eventually they have to play O Holy Night and Hark the Harold Angels Sing, but these times are few and far between. This brings me to my last peeve.
  4. Somebody Shoot Barbara Streisand.  Correct me if I am wrong. Isn’t Babs a Jew? Maybe she’s not a good Jew but she certainly isn’t a Christian. So why would she record a Christmas album? I mean she sings all the classic Christ praising carols but she doesn’t believe them. So again why? And the reason I ask is because when the radio stations do play a song that mentions Christ, it’s usually one of Babs.

There I have laid bare my soul concerning Christmas music.  It won’t dampen my spirit though. I have recordings of all my favorite Christmas music and listen to them when I am at work or home.  It is only when I am in the car that I have to deal the radio.

I invite you to go to the comments and list your favorite Christmas song ( a “traditional” one that deals with Christ’s birth, and a secular one.) By far my favorite song is “O Holy Night”. It has been for decades.  A secular favorite is Sleigh Ride.

 If you have a Christmas peeve leave it in the comments as well.

No comments: