Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #14

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Thursday Thirteen #14


13 things about Dane Bramage

The If I Had an iPod Edition
Disco Special

If I had an iPod I am sure I would have well organized theme based playlists for the hundreds of songs I would buy. No really!. Okay maybe not. But I got to thinking, "What theme based playlist would I start with?" I would probably close my eyes and allow myself to get whisked away to the days of my youth, way back in the twentieth century, back when Disco was King. So here are 13 disco songs I would have on my iPod if I had one.

  1. Disco Inferno The Trammps
    Sort of a Disco anthem don't you think? I used to like screaming "Burn baby burn"! Must have been the rebellious youth in me.

  2. To Be Real Cheryl Lynn
    You can't have a disco playlist without this ditty.

  3. Partyland The Blackbyrds
    One of my favorite jazzy R&B groups had a disco smash with this song.

  4. I'm Ready Kano
    The italo disco Kano band had this hit. It is catchy and bridges to techno a bit. It was sampled to death by lot of Hip hop and rap songs.

  5. Don't Leave Me This Way Thelma Houston
    A ubiquitous hit, I heard it at anything remotely dealing with Disco. For good reason. It is a disco classic.

  6. There But For The Grace of God Machine
    An interesting song to say the least. In my youth I would sympathize with the poor child whose folks wanted to raise in a place with "no blacks, no Jews and no gays". Now I wonder why they lumped those particular three groups together, something I didn't think about when I was shaking my groove thing.

  7. I Feel Love Donna Summer
    The undisputed Queen of Disco could fill an iPod with her hits alone. This is one of my favorites.

  8. The rest of the list is below the fold. Go to the end of the post and click "We want to read more!"

  9. Groove Line Heatwave
    Another tune I remember at all the mixers and dances I went to. Bigger still was their hit "Always and Forever" which was a killer "slow jam".

  10. Shame Evelyn "Champagne" King
    A favorite of mine to this day. She also had a killer slow jam with "Kisses Don't Lie"

  11. Sour and Sweet (Lemon in the Honey) Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band
    This band had 1 album and their gimmick was a zoot-suited Big Band sound. They had 2 or 3 songs that got onto the Disco charts. This is my favorite although I remember loving the entire album.

  12. Love Machine The Miracles
    A huge hit for the Miracles in their post Smokey Robinson days. It created it's own little Disco Inferno on the Disco Charts

  13. Lovin' is Really My Game Brainstorm
    Great dance tune but I swear this song was about an hour long (in keeping with the tradition of Disco songs). Never heard anything else by the group though.

  14. More Than A Woman Tavares
    Yes I said Tavares and not The Bee Gees. Not to take anything away from the brothers Gibb, I just liked this version better.

Conspicuous for her absence is Gloria "I will Survive" Gaynor. Well it seemed to be an anthem for every fruit-headed drag queen I saw on TV. So forgive me if the appeal is gone. Also I didn't have any Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever hits. Some of those were great tunes but I really didn't listen to them that much when I was younger. Anyway maybe it is a good thing I don't have an iPod. What was your favorite disco hit?


1. Melissa 2. JAM 3. carmen
4. my 2 cents 5. KarenW 6. Chaotic Mom
7. Dani 8. Frances 9. Random Yak
10. Kukka-Maria 11. Lingerie Lady K 12. Amy
13. JO 14. Andrea 15. Brony 16. TC
17. Patchwork Anahata 18. Mary 19. SMD
20. Ginger

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

No comments: