Thursday Thirteen #48
13 Things About Dane Bramage
13 Things That Some Say Are True
Well I have been gone for awhile. I have some home issues that are unraveling as we speak, so to speak. Anyway my good friend Scott who has never let me down or disappointed me or failed to have my back has stepped up to the plate again. This time he emailed me some things you should know. The claim is that these are true and I have my doubts but being lazy I won't verify each item. Instead you can tell me if you ever heard such a thing. So here we go!
- Because metal was scarce during WWII the Oscars given out were made of wood Sounds plausible, and Hollywood was a little better in those days. I'm just glad they didn't call them the Woodys.
- There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos. I've heard this before but don't know and don't care.
- The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan; there was never a recorded Wendy before. Wow wouldn't that be cool if it were true. And yet there hasn't been a mad rush to name little boys Frodo.
- Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors as well as taking 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips. 10 years to paint the Mona Lisa maybe but just the lips? I am not buying it. I do believe the scissors thing. The man practically invented everything.
- Any tiny amount of alcohol on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death. So if you drink booze, you won't get scorpions. Okay wrong joke but we don't have scorpions here in Ohio so I can't have Dave test it out.
- If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19, which is the largest amount of coins you can have and not make change for a dollar. Oh my brain hurts! So you can have up to $1.19 in coins and not make change for a dollar. Someone had too much time on their hands.
- By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand. Has anyone tried this? Do you want to? Anyway I think Mythbusters pretty much disproved the whole sink to your doom in quicksand thing.
- The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English Law, which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb. That would explain why this guy's blushing bride went screaming for the hills.
- Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has to begin with. Smear some diet peanut butter on it and you will chew yourself into oblivion.
- Money isn't made out of paper; it's made out of cotton. So Money still doesn't grow on trees but it does grow on plants and you need gin to process it. Gin. Cotton Gin. Get it? Oh come on people I've been gone a long time.
- The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle So what is the dot over the j called?
- A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top. Believable behavior for anyone forced to swim in a pool of their own liquefied ancestors.
- The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper. That explains why we have the joint chiefs.
Well there you go. Another Thursday Thirteen put to bed. Like I said these were all things that people have said are true. Can you provide conclusive proof one way or another? Thanks again to my good friend Scott who is too busy to blog(dig). In gratitude I would like to chop your feet into shoes. photochop that is. I may need replacements for Dave's above. Its an honor. Really!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants