Thursday Thirteen #54
13 Things About Dane Bramage
13 Spin-offs of Other T.V. Shows
I've done television lists before. And I'm going to do one again. This time the theme of the list is spin-offs. I am listing 13 shows that were spin-offs of other shows.
- Maude (1972-1978) This show was a spin-off of "All in the Family". The eponymous Maude was Edith Bunker's cousin.
- The Jeffersons (1975-1985) Another "All in the Family" spin-off. George and "Weezie" were Archie and Edith's neighbors.
- Good Times (1974-1979) This show was spawned by "Maude". Florida Evans was Maude's wise-cracking housekeeper.
- Happy Days (1974-1984) Happy Days was spawned from a vignette on the show "Love American Style" called "Love and the Happy Days".
- Lavern and Shirley (1976-1983) A spin-off of "Happy Days". Lavern and Shirley were friends of Fonzie who double dated Ritchie and Potsie.
- Mork and Mindy (1978-1982) Another "Happy Days" spin-off. Mork appeared in a dream episode.
- Rhoda (1974-1978) This was one of the spin-offs of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". It was funny for a season then the characters got married and it went downhill from there. Kinda like real marriage so I'm told.
- Lou Grant (1977-1982) This was weird. Lou Grant was Mary Richard's boss on the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" which was a situation comedy. The show "Lou Grant" was an excellent Emmy award winning drama about the same character. Go figure.
- Trapper John M.D. (1979-1986) Some say this was a spin-off of M*A*S*H the TV show. It would then be one of two drama's spawned from comedies (the aforementioned Lou Grant being the other). But some say, for legal reasons, the show was spun-off of M*A*S*H the movie. I don't know. I do know Wayne Rogers was offered the role and he turned it down.
- Barnaby Jones (1973-1980) Did you know that Buddy Ebsen's P.I. character was introduced on William Conrad's show "Canon"? Live and learn.
- Daria (1997-2001) This animated gem had it's unlikely start from "Beavis and Butt-Head" of all places. I recommend Daria. Not so much Beavis and Butthead
- Family Matters (1989-1998) This show was a spin-off of "Perfect Strangers". Harriet and Carl Winslow were friends of Balkie and Larry.
- Angel (1999-2004) Angel was spawned from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", Different enough to be interesting and yet it had the same Buffy flavor Josh Whedon fans had come to love. I miss both shows.
I purposely limited the spin-offs to those shows that actually lasted more than a season. That way I didn't have to mention shows like Joanie Loves Chachie, or Phyllis. Many shows were spun off hit TV series that crashed and burned. Do you have a favorite Spin-off?
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants