Thursday Thirteen #58
13 Things About Dane Bramage
13 Things About Feet
One never knows when one's muse will hit. I was sitting on the sofa staring at my dry ashy feet (Black folks understand ashy) wondering what to write this week's Thursday Thirteen about. After examining my feet for cuts, blisters, and sores like a good diabetic should, it occurred to me that most everyone has feet. But do they know feet? So here are thirteen things about feet.
- One fourth of all the bones in your body are in your feet.
- Women suffer from foot problems nearly four times as often as men. This may be attributable to wearing high-heeled shoes.
- Our feet bear a cumulative weight total of 1,000 tons a day.
- There are over 250,000 sweat glands in your feet. An average pair of feet will create a pint of perspiration a day.
- Standing and balancing cause babies feet to exert a lot of energy-they may sweat up to twice the amount of adult feet.
- The average person walks over 115,000 miles during their lifetime. That’s enough to walk around the world 4 times.
- Our feet cushion as much as a million pounds of pressure during only one hour of strenuous exercise.
- Your feet may be as much as 5 to 10 percent larger at the end of the day. It's best to shop for shoes in the afternoon or late in the day. Your feet actually swell during the day from walking and activities, so a pair of shoes that felt comfortable in the morning might actually be too snug by day's end
- No less then 19 muscles and 107 ligaments are used to control the movement of each foot. (Ironically it is the lip and tongue muscles however; that position the foot into your mouth.)
- Before King George IV of England ordered a set of boots made to fit each of his feet, shoes were designed to be worn on either foot.
- When a baby is born, the number of bones in the feet are higher, but many of them fuse by the time we reach adulthood.
- The palms of the hand and the soles of the feet cannot tan. (I don't know what they are talking about, I cannot tan any part of me).
- The skin on your feet is 20 times thicker than on any other part of your body! (With the notable exception of certain skulls!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants