Thursday Thirteen #66
13 Things About Dane Bramage
13 Movie Titles/Theme Songs
While sitting in the cafeteria the other day I heard an old Supremes tune. It was "The Happening". Wasn't that a movie? I thought to myself. "Well it's certainly an idea for Thursday Thirteen" I added. Some of these songs was more memorable than their movies. Some were monster hits to blockbusters. So here are 13 songs that are movie titles.
- The Happening The song was by The Supremes and Anthony Quinn did the 1967 film.
- To Sir With Love Lulu had a hit but so did Sidney Portier in the film also from 1967
- The Way We Were Babs and Redford did a film in 1973 that I can't remember but that song will never die.
- Shaft Richard Roundtree portrays the bad mother shut-yo-mouth in this 1972 film directed by Gordon Parks. Issac Hayes did the monster hit theme song.
- You Light Up My Life The song won an Oscar. The movie had the song in it which is the best you can say about it. I vaguely remember Didi Conn in this 1977 snoozer.
- Purple Rain Prince or whatever he's known as or formerly known as, made a couple films. This one from 1984 didn't suck. And while it wasn't as ubiquitous as "When Dove's Cry", "Purple Rain" got a lot of air play.
- Fame The 1980 Award winning movie spawned a TV show and both had the same popular theme song.
- Pet Sematary A story by Stephen King made into the 1989 film complete with a theme song by the Ramones.
- Xanadu You would think a musical with Gene Kelly would be awesome. This 1980 film not so much. Co-star Olivia Newton-John's theme was a nice little ditty.
- Superfly This 1972 film was blaxploitation at it's best. Shaft's Gordon Parks directed this film too. The great Curtis Mayfield made his solo career with the soundtrack to this film. I still know the words to "Superfly" and "Freddie's Dead". I can't find any hard facts but allegedly, the soundtrack out grossed the film.
- New York, New York Minelli and De Niro starred in this 1977 film. And while none of the versions from the film itself pop into mind, everyone knows that Frank Sinatra took possession of this song and is associated with it to this day.
- Footloose 1984 film with that Kevin Bacon guy that everybody is related to in seven degrees. Kenny Loggins does the theme song honors. A body double did the dancing.
- Grease A 1978 film of a play or something like that. Olivia Neutron-Bomb and John Travolta star. Frankie Valli sings.
I didn't list any Bond Themes because there are so many and my last Thursday Thirteen was Bond related. But if you have a another favorite list it in the comments.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants