Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Can You Forgive Jane

basil has a bit of fanfic ala Enterprise and Quantum Leap. But the topic is as real as you can get. PGH: Hanoi Jane's Book Signing deals with forgiveness.

When a person puts their faith in Jesus, they are forgiven. I remember when the news of Jane Fonda receiving Christ started circulating around our church. Most people were very surprised. But everyone accepted the fact that the grace of God could reach even one such as Jane.

When news got out that her marriage with super liberal Ted Turner was over, anyone who may have had doubts about Jane's conversion were quickly convinced.

Time has passed and Jane is out promoting a book. She has said that she was wrong about what she did during Viet Nam. She doesn't apologize for being against the war, just for what she did about it. Still most people who hated what Jane did over thirty years ago still hate her today. And I do mean hate. In their minds she will always be Hanoi Jane.

But why is that? Isn't she as a Christian, forgiven? Yes she is. But there are two things that are lacking here. Repentance and restitution. It is not enough to say you are sorry. Words are not repentance, deeds are. And we must have deeds match our words. Why? Because forgiveness does not undo the consequences of our sins. If I walked up to you with a sword and hacked your arm off, then later felt guilt and asked you to forgive me, the moment you forgave me your magically regenerates right? Of course not. The consequence of my action, your missing arm, is one that will last your lifetime. Now if I were truly repentant, I would do more than ask for forgiveness. Realizing that I have affected you for the rest of your life, I need to make things right. In fact the Bible demands that I make things right. Obviously I can't give you a new arm but I can do whatever it takes to BE that missing arm. It would be my goal to help you accomplish whatever it was you would do if you had two arms for as long as you needed or wanted me.

This is the area I think Jane Fonda needs to address. We know she's a Christian, and she said she is sorry but I think she needs to do something to touch the lives of those she negatively affected in a positive way. Then I think the millions of people who despise her might believe she truly is sorry.

Now having said all that, I want to point out that Jane needs to make amends to those that she wronged. YOU on the other hand, dear Christian, are still suppose to forgive her even if she doesn't. Not for Jane Fonda's benefit, but for your own spiritual growth and well being.

No comments: