Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

God Will Walk Out of the Room

Don't shoot me. But I was er.. surfing, yeah and accidentally wound up at The Huffington Post. Okay it wasn't quite accidentally. A lot of conservative blogs have been predicting HP to crash and burn and Nikki Finke of the LA Weekly panned it so badly I had to take a look for myself. I didn't find the place in flames and ruin. On the contrary, visually the site was very well done. The blog had some interesting writers, as was hyped. Two men whom I wouldn't cross the street to piss on if they were on fire, dislike intensely for their anti-Christian stand and remarks, Bill Maher and Rob Reiner were guest posters. So the lean is definitely to the lunatic left.

What caught my attention was a blog post by music legend Quincy Jones. He starts off mentioning Elvis and then quickly turns his attention to Michael Jackson with whom he had work for many years. He wonders aloud if major success itself is to blame for Michael's "situation".
All I know is that, on their own, human beings are not programmed to be able to handle that much fame, that much adulation, that much success. The only way to deal with something that overwhelming -- even overwhelming success -- is if you are spiritually centered.

If you believe that you deserve all that money and adulation, that’s a problem. If you believe you don’t deserve it, that’s also a problem. And if you don’t understand this, you’re in trouble.

I’ve been in the business 57 years and I’ve seen it over and over again. It’s all about trusting a higher power; believing in divinity. It’s about cause and manifestation. Cause being God’s job, manifestation clearly being our job. The moment success leads you to say, “I’ll take it from here, God,” God’s reply will be, “Be my guest.” And God will walk out of the room.

Of course he is right, whether rich or poor we have to be spiritually centered or we get swept away by the flood of worldliness. We become gods unto ourselves and give into our appetites. The richer and more powerful we become, the bigger our appetites and the further from normal we stray. It is encouraging to see some people in the entertainment industry who not only recognize this but actually come out and say it. There is a line that if you cross it God will leave you to your own devices. Jacko crossed that line many years ago.

So if Quincy Jones was aware of this, the question is could he have done something about it? In QJ's defense, I believe the answer is no. I am not sure if it is because The Huffington Post is such a liberal endeavor that Mr. Jones never mentions Jesus or if it is because he himself is not a Christian but I detected a lot of PC jargon concerning higher powers without specifically mentioning Jesus Christ. If he himselef is not centered on the Rock, he cannot help anyone else. Micheal Jackson is not a Christian, and I notice a lack of support or even condemnation from the other practioners of his faith. Makes you wonder where they stand on God's influence in Jacko's situation.

No comments: