Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

HBS How Do You Feel About Hurricane Katrina

The Homespun Bloggers Symposium returns and with a vengeance.  The question is; “How do you feel about Hurricane Katrina”.I feel mostly angry. Not at the destructive force of nature that devastated the Gulf coast, but at the destructive political entities that are continuing to use Katrina for their agenda. I am going to focus on blame.

Who is to blame for Katrina? God is. Only He controls the weather, only He decides when a person dies. The moonbats who want to place the blame on President Bush make me laugh. I do not think for one moment that greenhouse gases and global warming produced Katrina.  We have had terrible hurricanes in the past, before Kyoto, and will continue to have them in the future. What kind of idiot attributes acts of nature to political policy? Apparently liberal Democrats.

Now who is to blame for the emergency response fiasco that occurred after Katrina? Where to start… Hmmm. Let’s start with the local authorities. Where the mayors and governors decided early to order evacuation, we saw less human suffering. In the case of New Orleans however; I think Nagin and Blanco waited too long. But I don’t entirely blame them. Most of the people evacuated safely. The ones that stayed were the issue. Who is to blame for them staying? Poverty? No. Despite liberal leadership’s assertion to the contrary poverty had little to do with the people who stayed. I personally know of people in New Orleans. They weren’t rich. But when came time to leave they got out. All of them, mothers, fathers, uncles, they ALL made it to Mississippi because they were determined not to lose anyone in the storm. But that was a personal decision, the same one faced by everyone in the storm’s path.  To say “I am too poor to leave” is the same as saying “I intend to stay”. People without cars seem to have no problem getting around when it suits them.

Was the response time acceptable. No. Even the President said so. But who was to blame? Brown and FEMA? Governor Blanco? I don’t know. It strikes me as a huge comedy of errors where dozens of little details added up to a big disgusting whole. We had resources available but not allocated. Resources allocated and then redeployed elsewhere. We saw resources available but tied up by bureaucracy. We had people who were left unattended in the civic center. We had people in the superdome die. People were still in their homes when waters forced them to their roofs.  But was there one place that we could point to and say this was to blame? I don’t think so.  That is important because I don’t believe given the magnitude of the disaster and the short time in which all the destruction occurred and the duration of the storm that the mobilization of relief cold have happened much faster than it did.

Which brings me to my last point, was the slow response due to racism? No. Absolutely not. And this point is the greatest source of my anger. What evidence do the race-baiters have that this response was racially biased? None. They only make statements that can’t be proven like “If most of the people stranded were rich white folks then the government would have acted much sooner!”  Or “Nobody cares about poor Black people”. Then alleged Black leaders like Jesse Jackson drop in for a quick photo-op and repeat the racism meme.  I blame those leaders for continued racial tensions and state of victimhood that many of my people cannot seem to rise above.

How do I feel about Katrina? I feel that the blame game she left in her wake has done more damage than her winds. I feel it will take longer to recover from the opportunistic posturing of the liberals than it will to rebuild the economic infrastructure she washed away.

No comments: