Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Guilty Pride

Well I would be remiss in my duties as a blogger, If I fail to make some comment on the Iowa caucuses.


First, Huckabee. I was surprised that he was number one and disappointed that Romney at number two, did as well as he did. Giuliani's showing was unexpectedly low. Howver; in Iowa the GOP leaders takes all so everybody but Huckabee was a loser!



To be completely honest with you, I really do not have a good feeling for any of the GOP candidates for president. And how sad it is that? I really like and admire George W. Bush, and was very glad and excited to vote for him. I have no similar feeling towards any of the GOP today.


Second there is Obama. I am pleased as punch that Barak beat the Hillary machine. I think the good old boys in the Democratic Party are all doing a major rethink. What I find particularly interesting is the alleged crisis of black leadership. Many of the old-school black leaders, all threw in with Hillary. But it appears that many of the younger African Americans support Obama. With his victory in the predominantly white state of Iowa, the black elder statesmen have to wonder if they backed the right horse. Different than the GOP contest, The Democrats get so many delegates based on their final standing.

Now I am a registered Republican. But I have always believed in voting for the best man for the job. (I purposely left off the P.C. “or woman” because in this particular contest I don’t think it applies.) Usually though it means voting for the lesser of two evils. But I am not likely to cross party lines and vote for Obama. While I admit a substantial bit of guilty pride, Barak and I are too far apart politically for me to choose him in good conscience. But I hope he keeps beating Hillary!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a bit sad actually. I can't bring myself to vote for any of these guys. Huckabee scares the crap out of me and I don't think Obama has the spine to actually run this country...I think Congress and the rest of the world will break him...
As for Hilary, she might have been a good Pres, but I think she's too harsh and her policies aren't up to par, and I don't 100% trust Edwards.
On the republican side...umm...I don't really trust any of them. They all scare me and all I see right now are candidates wanting to bankrupt the country...health care for everyone is a lovely fantasy, but the union can't afford to pay for that right now. Our priority should be finishing Iraq...get it on its feet so we can pull out and recooperate...give our bloody soldiers a break and a big parade for their service...

Dane Bramage said...

As far as Iraq goes I am afraid the only course is stay the course and time. Both of these have costs in political power, resources and lives. I can't back anyone who promotes a cut and run strategy.

As far as that pipe dream of universal health care, funding is only half the issue. Government bureaucracies are notoriously inefficient and the health care enthusiasts want to build one to handle medical needs for everybody in the country? That doesn't makegood sense.

I am thinking this is going to be a horrible year politically. No one is going to be 100% happy with what will result from the November election.

Unknown said...

We can't cut and run. That's the problem. It's a nice fairy tale for us over here who aren't being shot at to say we should just cut our losses and run out. We caused the problems that exist there now and we have to finish what we started. Iraq isn't a 'mission accomplished' place. It was wrong to call it that. Right now, things are getting better, but we need time, we need proper funding, and we need the troops to stick around and see it through. The only reason I really like Huckabee's take on the war is because he gives conditional removal. We don't walk away until Iraq can take care of itself.

Well, right now we need some sort of system that will at least provide basic health needs to the 40 million or so Americans who can't even afford it. Being as rich as we are we don't have many excuses for not eventually getting that luxury to them. I don't think a socialized structure would work, at least not in the way that Canada or the UK has it. But we could certainly take the good points from those systems and the good points from our system and find a middle ground that will work well for everyone. I hate health care. It sucks and unless you're rich or have a really good employer you just get shafted...but we can't afford health care for everyone right now.