Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Testimony

When I imagined myself as the first black man to run for President, I always considered my Christian testimony and the part my pastor would play in it. I could not think of kicking him to the curb or ignoring my association with him. As a fundamental Baptist preacher he is prone to say controversial things from the pulpit. Controversial to the ears of the world but not to God. The world might think it hateful when he preaches on sanctification and separation especially when he says to remain separate from worldly influences. My pastor always preaches the Word. If he talks about political issues, it is from a spiritual point of view and based on scripture, not personal opinion. My political views are shaped by my faith and my faith is shaped by the preaching and teaching of God’s Word and God’s Word is presented by my preacher. It was his ministry that led me to Christ and it was under his ministry that I grew as a Christian. So I cannot conceive of any time or situation where I would distance myself from him or his teachings and comments.

Well I probably won’t ever run for President but Obama is trying hard to. So I wonder about what his testimony is. He obviously embraced his pastor and his teachings at one point. But now he is putting as much distance as he can between himself and Reverend Wright. Why? Does he or doesn’t he believe the man? Is Wright Obama’s spiritual leader or isn’t he? If not then who? Shouldn’t we get to know who is the spiritual guidance of one of America’s potential Presidents?

But if Wright is Obama’s guru then aren’t we within our right to question comments the man has made publicly? Shouldn’t we be aware of what was taught by Wright and received by Obama? Isn’t this part of Barack Obama’s testimony?

Wright is in the news again, making comments against Fox News personalities. He was at a funeral of all places. I think he likes the spotlight and plans to take full advantage of his fifteen minutes. Where does that leave the Obama campaign?

Has your pastor (or other spiritual leader) said controversial things behind the pulpit? If you were running for public office, would you promote your pastor, or distance yourself?

1 comment:

Eve said...

You bring up some good points and ask some hard questions. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "the Mormons." We don't have pastors such as you describe. We have a prophet who stands at the head of the church. And we have bishops, Stake presidents, area and general authorities. A local bishop comes the closest to a pastor in other churches. Our bishops are called for about 5 years of service, then they are released and someone else is called. We are taught the Word of Christ in our meetings and avoid political discussions. Joseph Smith said that he taught "correct principles" and then the members would "govern themselves." So, we look to our leaders to teach us those correct principles, but the choices we make, whether political or otherwise, are left to us. No, I would not distance myself from those teachings were I to run for political office. Those principles are what guide me in my life. I would continue to make choices and decisions based on those correct principles no matter my position or career.