Because Everybody Is Entitled To My Opinion

"O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, . . . in wrath remember mercy" (Habakkuk 3:2).
"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:6)

Friday, April 04, 2008

Speaking of Race Relations

An interesting thing just happened to me. I walked across the street to the little deli and ordered lunch. They fixed it up for me (although I wonder sometimes how much mayonnaise they would normally put on a sandwich. I ask for light mayo and they still apply a spatula full on a six inch sub). I decided to use my bank card and the lady rang it up and printed the receipt for my signature.

"Just put your John Henry right here" she said.

John Henry? I know he was a steel driving man but I didn't know he was associated with signatures like John Hancock. Maybe white people put their John Hancocks on documents and black people put on their John Henrys.

Now the difference between me and a liberal race baiter is that I found the whole thing interesting and a little amusing. A liberal would have been offended. They might have even sued for damages seeing how they have been treated so differently!

2 comments:

Eve said...

I think folks who say John Henry instead of John Hancock just get confused. It's like those who say "doggy dog" when they mean "dog eat dog" or "You've got another thing coming" when they mean "You've got another think coming." If Hillary can "misspeak" about whether or not she was pinned down by snipers I expect the rest of us occasionally use a wrong word, too.

orneryswife said...

Hey! I was just on the blogoversary website and it says today is your day! Happy B-day!
TM